Signal Messenger client for terminal.
You need to download and install
signal-cli, such that it is found in your
- Download and install
- Follow the instructions at
https://github.com/AsamK/signal-cli/wiki/Linking-other-devices-(Provisioning) to link
signal-clito your phone/device.
- Install gurk with
cargo install gurk
- Drop a config file with the following context
[user] name = "Your user name" phone_number = "Your phone number used in Signal"
in one of the following locations:
For more config options, see
At the first run,
gurk will sync groups and contacts.
Missing features / known issues
- Use a simple database (like sqlite, sled, leveldb) for storing messages, contacts, etc... instead of a JSON file.
- Add optional Gnome notifications over dbus.
- Add scrolling of messages.
- Add reply functionality to a single message.
- Add mouse navigation.
- Add search of messages/chats. Add quick switch between chats by name.
- It is not possible to send multiline messages, since the
Enterkey sends the messages. Add a shortcut or a mode for typing multiline messages.
- Add sending of attachments.
- Add support for blocked contacts/groups.
The communication with the Signal backend is implemented via
signal-cli. It provides some
functionality like lookup of group/contact name only over the dbus interface. Therefore,
works on Linux. We should evaluate if it is possible to switch to the
- Apache License, Version 2.0, (LICENSE-APACHE or http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0)
- MIT License (LICENSE-MIT or http://opensource.org/licenses/MIT)
Unless you explicitly state otherwise, any contribution intentionally submitted for inclusion in this document by you, as defined in the Apache-2.0 license, shall be dual licensed as above, without any additional terms or conditions.