This crate provides native rust implementations of image encoding and decoding as well as some basic image manipulation functions. Additional documentation can currently also be found in the README.md file which is most easily viewed on github.
There are two core problems for which this library provides solutions: a unified interface for image encodings and simple generic buffers for their content. It’s possible to use either feature without the other. The focus is on a small and stable set of common operations that can be supplemented by other specialized crates. The library also prefers safe solutions with few dependencies.
High level API
Load images using
use std::io::Cursor; use image::io::Reader as ImageReader; let img = ImageReader::open("myimage.png")?.decode()?; let img2 = ImageReader::new(Cursor::new(bytes)).with_guessed_format()?.decode()?;
And save them using
img.save("empty.jpg")?; let mut bytes: Vec<u8> = Vec::new(); img2.write_to(&mut Cursor::new(&mut bytes), image::ImageOutputFormat::Png)?;
With default features, the crate includes support for many common image formats.
The two main types for storing images:
ImageBufferwhich holds statically typed image contents.
DynamicImagewhich is an enum over the supported ImageBuffer formats and supports conversions between them.
As well as a few more specialized options:
GenericImagetrait for a mutable image buffer.
GenericImageViewtrait for read only references to a GenericImage.
flatmodule containing types for interoperability with generic channel matrices and foreign interfaces.
Low level encoding/decoding API
ImageDecoderRect traits are implemented for many image file
formats. They decode image data by directly on raw byte slices. Given an ImageDecoder, you can
produce a DynamicImage via
ImageEncoder provides the analogous functionality for encoding image data.
pub use crate::error::ImageError;
pub use crate::error::ImageResult;
pub use crate::flat::FlatSamples;
- Iterators and other auxiliary structure for the
- Encoding and decoding for various image file formats.
- Contains detailed error representation.
- Image representations for ffi.
- Image Processing Functions
- Input and output of images.
- Mathematical helper functions and types.
- The delay of a frame relative to the previous one.
- A single animation frame
- An implementation dependent iterator, reading the frames as requested
- Generic image buffer
- Grayscale colors.
- Grayscale colors + alpha channel
- Immutable pixel iterator
- Represents the progress of an image operation.
- RGB colors.
- RGB colors + alpha channel
- A View into another image
- An enumeration over supported color types and bit depths
- A Dynamic Image
- An enumeration of color types encountered in image formats.
- An enumeration of supported image formats. Not all formats support both encoding and decoding.
- An enumeration of supported image formats for encoding.
- AnimationDecoder trait
- Types which are safe to treat as an immutable byte slice in a pixel layout for image encoding.
- A trait for manipulating images.
- Trait to inspect an image.
- The trait that all decoders implement
- Specialized image decoding not be supported by all formats
- The trait all encoders implement
- A generalized pixel.
- The pixel with an associated
ColorType. Not all possible pixels represent one of the predefined
- The type of each channel in a pixel. For example, this can be
- Guess image format from memory block
- Read a tuple containing the (width, height) of the image located at the specified path. This is faster than fully loading the image and then getting its dimensions.
- Create a new image from a Reader.
- Create a new image from a byte slice
- Create a new image from a byte slice
- Open the image located at the path specified. The image’s format is determined from the path’s file extension.
- Saves the supplied buffer to a file at the path specified.
- Saves the supplied buffer to a file at the path specified in the specified format.
- Writes the supplied buffer to a writer in the specified format.
- Sendable grayscale + alpha channel image buffer
- Sendable grayscale image buffer
- An image buffer for 32-bit float RGB pixels, where the backing container is a flattened vector of floats.
- Sendable Rgb image buffer
- An image buffer for 32-bit float RGBA pixels, where the backing container is a flattened vector of floats.
- Sendable Rgb + alpha channel image buffer