Subject: Multi-media mail demonstration
From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 1993 02:53:47 -0800 (PST)

This is a demonstration of multi-part mail with encapsulated messages.  This
is a very complex message whose purpose it is to exercise software using the
new multi-part message standard.

Subject: Re: a MIME-Version misfeature
From: Nathaniel Borenstein <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1991 08:14:27 -0500 (EST)

I have no problem with changing the BNF to permit the period, as Mark
suggests.   However, I disagree violently with the following comment:

Excerpts from internet.ietf-822: 23-Dec-91 a MIME-Version misfeature
Mark [email-masked] (429*)

> All in all, it's starting to look like MIME-Version is not really all that
> well thought out and is in danger of being superfluous baggage.

Some kind of version number is, in my opinion, totally vital -- getting
rid of MIME-Version without some similar versioning mechanism to replace
it would be, for me, a real show-stopper.

By the way, this message is being sent by an experimental version of
Andrew I'm playing with.  I'd be interested in any comments you have on
its formatting, etc.  -- Nathaniel

Subject: Re: multipart mail
From: [email-masked] (Nathaniel Borenstein)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 91 10:25:36 EDT

From: [email-masked] (Nathaniel Borenstein)
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 91 12:41:43 EDT

You are invited to a 

*** STAR TREK 25TH ANNIVERSARY PARTY ***

When:  September 28, 1991,  4:30 PM until whenever
What:  For those interested, we'll have a rerun of last year's season-ending 
	cliffhanger, and  then we'll tune in the season opener and the 25th 
	anniversary TV special.   Prior to that, if you bring some food 
	we'll have a pot-luck meal, and general merriment before and after.
Who:  You and your family, including kids of course.
Where:  25 Washington Avenue, Morristown.  
	(See Nathaniel if you need directions.)
RSVP:  993-8586

What follows is some Star Trek related multimedia mail, the last of which will give you a chance to RSVP on line.  

Live Long and Prosper!  -- Nathaniel & Trina

Subject: A cheap digitizer test
From: [email-masked] (Stephen A Uhler)
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 May 91 10:40:25 EDT

Well, here's a sample

The digitizer does 64 gray levels at any of:
 256 x 244  (included)
 128 x 122
 66  x 61

At 19.2k baud (it uses an rs232 interface) it takes up to 32 seconds to
fetch the image (with no compression).  The lower resolutions take
8 and 2 seconds respectively.

Subject: meta-mail
From: [email-masked] (Stephen A Uhler)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 91 09:09:05 EDT

2 Questions:

1) MM_QUIET doesn't seem to work in the 212 version of metamail.

2) I've been pondering how I am going to send you this 40mb mail message.
   I was going to split it up using the "parts" mechanism, but then it occurred to me.
   My software has no business worrying about message size.  Its up to the mail
   delivery agent to do that form me.  I should be able to compose a very
   long message, and pass it off to sendmail (well, a pre-processor to sendmail).
   if the message is too long, based upon the src/dst etc, then sendmail should
   break it into multiple parts for me, and send it as multiple messages.  As the
   user (sender) I should be unaware this is happening.

   Similarly, on the receiving end, the separate parts should be assembled as they
   arrive; I shouldn't have do deal with them at all as multiple messages.

   I guess what I am proposing are two utility programs:

       msplit <max_lines> <max_bytes>

   that takes 1 mail message and splits it into N messages and

       mcombine <parts...>
       mcombine <partially_assembled_thingy> <parts...>

   that any mail system can call to achieve a uniform mechanism of splitting
   and recombining messages,  Kind of like:

Subject: An image that went gif->ppm->ps
From: [email-masked] (Nathaniel Borenstein)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 91 12:13:55 EDT

Subject: Audio in q-p
From: [email-masked] (Nathaniel Borenstein)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 91 09:35:10 EDT

Subject: Here's some more
From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
To: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1991 17:32:56 -0700 (PDT)

				Alice's PDP-10

;;; With thanks (and apologies) to Chris Stacy, Alan Wechsler, Noel Chiappa,
;;; Larry Allen, and of course Arlo Guthrie, and particularly to Ann Marie Finn
;;; who is a kind soul and not at all like the person portrayed herein.
;;;								-- sra 3 May 85

This song is called "Alice's PDP-10".  But Alice doesn't own a PDP-10, in fact
Alice isn't even in the song.  It's just the name of the song.  That's why I
called this song "Alice's PDP-10".

You see, it all started about two incompatible monitor versions ago, about two
months ago on a Tuesday, when my friend and I SUPDUP'd over to MIT-OZ to pick
up some hackers to go out for a Chinese dinner.  But AI hackers don't live on
MIT-OZ, they live on various assorted lispms and such, and seeing as and how
they never log in except via the file server, they hadn't gotten around to
doing filesystem garbage collection for a long time.

We got over there, saw 600 pages free, 10000 pages in use on a 5 pack PS:, and
decided it would be a friendly gesture to run CHECKD for them and try to
reclaim some of that lost space.  So we reloaded the system with the floppies
and the switch registers and other implements of destruction, and answered "Y"
to RUN CHECKD?

But when we got the system up and tried to release all the lost pages there was
a loud beeping and a big message flashed up on our screen saying:
                      PERMISSION DENIED BY ACJ

Well, we'd never heard of a version of ACJ that would let you go into MDDT from
ANONYMOUS but not run CHECKD, and so, with tears in our eyes, we headed off
over the Chaosnet looking for a filesystem with enough free pages to write out
the LOST-PAGES.BIN file.  Didn't find one...

Until we got to XX-11, and at the other end of XX-11 was another MIT Twenex,
and in PS:<OPERATOR> on that MIT Twenex was another LOST-PAGES.BIN file.  And
we decided that one big LOST-PAGES.BIN file was better than two little
LOST-PAGES.BIN file, and rather than page that one in we thought we'd write
ours out.  So that's what we did.

Went back to OZ, found some hackers and went out for a Chinese dinner that
couldn't be beat, and didn't get up until the next morning when we got a SEND
from Ann Marie Finn.  She said, "Kid, we found your initials in SIXBIT in the
right half of a POPJ at the end of a two megaword core dump full of garbage,
just wanted to know if you had any information about it".  And I said, "Yes
ma'am Ann Marie, I cannot tell a lie, I put that XUNAME into that halfword".

After talking back and forth with Ann for about 45 messages we arrived at the
truth of the matter and Ann said that we had to go rebuild the bittable and we
also had to come down and talk to her in room NE43-501.  Now friends, there was
only one of two things that Ann could of done with us down at room 501, and the
first one was that she could have hired us on the spot for actually knowing
enough about Twenex to screw it up that badly, which wasn't very likely and we
didn't expect it, and the other was that she could have bawled us out and told
us never to be seen hacking filesystems again, which was what we expected.  But
when we got to room 501 we discovered that there was a third possibility that
we hadn't even counted upon, and we was both immediately de-wheeled.
CD%DIR'ed.  And I said "Ann, I don't think I can rebuild the bittable with this
here FILES-ONLY bit set."  And she said "XOFF, kid, get into this UDP packet"
and that's what we did and rode up to the square bracket asciz slash scene of
the crime slash close square bracket.

Now friends, I want to tell you about the ninth floor of building NE43 where
this happened.  They got three KL10s, 24 LISPMs, and about 32 VAXen running 4.2
unix.  But when we got to the square bracket asciz slash scene of the crime
slash close square bracket there was five twenex hackers past and present, this
being the biggest lossage yet by an RMS clone and everybody wanted to get in
their suggestion for a new system daemon that would have kept it from ever
having happened in the first place.  And they was using up all kinds of
debugging equipment that they had lying around on V3A SWSKIT tapes.  They were
doing DSs, MONRDs, and RSTRSHs, and they made 27000 pages of core dumps and
photo files on an RP06 with comments and -READ-.-THIS- files to be used as
evidence against us.

After the ordeal, Ann took us back downstairs and left us with the CLU hackers.
She said "Kid, I'm gonna leave you with the CLU hackers.  I want your jsys
manual and your ROLM DTI".  I said "Ann, I can understand your wanting my jsys
manual so I won't remind the CLU hackers of grody things like operating
systems, but what do you want my DTI for?" and she said "Kid, we don't want any
VTS errors".  I said "Ann, did you think I was going to try to crash the system
for littering?"  Ann said that she was making sure, and friends, Ann was,
'cause she cleared all my left-hand privs bits so I couldn't logout.  And she
disabled the TREPLACE command so I couldn't crock in an XCT [0] instruction,
cause an illegal instruction interrupt to MEXEC, and sneak into MDDT.  Yeah,
Ann was making sure, and it was about four or five hours later that Chiappa
(remember Chiappa?  This song's never even mentioned Chiappa) Chiappa came by
and with a few gratuitous insults to the CLU hackers bailed us out of there,
and we went out and had another Chinese dinner that couldn't be beat, and
didn't get up until the next morning when we all had to go to LCS Computational
Resources staff meeting.

We walked in, sat down.  Ann came in with the RP06 disk pack with the 27000
pages with the comments and the -READ-.-THIS- files and a two liter coffee mug,
sat down.  Esther Felix comes in says "All rise", we stood up, Ann stood up
with the 27000 page RP06 pack, and Dave Clark comes in with an IBM PC.  He sits
down, we sit down, Ann looks at the IBM PC.  Then at the 27000 page RP06 pack,
then at the IBM PC, then at the 27000 page RP06 pack, and began to cry, because
Ann had come to the realization that it was a typical case of 36%8==4 and that
there was no way to display those last four bits, and that Dave wasn't gonna
look at the 27000 pages of core dumps and photo files on the RP06 pack with the
comments and -READ-.-THIS- files explaining what each one was to be used as
evidence against us.

And we were permanently assigned to the batch dregs queue and had to rebuild
the bittable (in the batch dregs queue).  But that's not what I came here to
talk about.  I came here to talk about DEC.
 
======================================================================

They got a building up there in Marlboro where you walk in and get averted,
diverted, inverted, reverted, and perverted.  I went up there one day to pick
up a new copy of the tools tape.  Drove down to Philly for a Greatful Dead
concert the night before, so I looked and felt my best when I went in that
morning.  'Cause I wanted to look like a real live twenex hacker from MIT.  I
wanted to feel like, I wanted to be a real live twenex hacker from MIT.  I
walked in and I was hung down, brung down, hung up, and spaced out.  The
receptionist hands be a piece of paper saying "Kid, the EDIT-20 maintainers are
polling user opinions today and would like you to stop by room 604 while you're
here."

I walked in there and I said "Droids, I want to lose.  I mean, I want to lose.
I want to see line editors on CRTs and nulls in my files.  Write 36 bit ascii
that can't be read except with the monitor filtering it.  I mean LOSE, LOSE,
LOSE!"  And I started jumping up and down yelling "LOSE, LOSE", and Kevin
Paetzold came in wearing his moose ear hat and started jumping up and down with
me yelling "LOSE, LOSE", and a DEC sales rep came over, put an arm around my
shoulder, and said "How'd you like me to show you a *real* editor that has
macros and things like that?  We have one, it's called TV...."

Didn't feel too good about it.

Proceeded on down the hall getting more diversions and perversions.  Man, I was
in there for two hours, three hours, four hours, I was in there for a long
time, and they was doing all kinds of mean nasty ugly things, and I was just
having a tough time there.  They was diverting and inverting every single part
of me and they was leaving no bit untouched.

Finally I got to the very last office (I'd been in all the rest), the very last
desk, after that whole big thing there, and I walk over and say "what do you
want?" and the man says "Kid, we only got one question: have you ever been
dewheeled?"

So I proceeded to tell him the story of the 10600 page five pack PS:  with full
orchestration and five part harmony and other phenomena and he stopped me right
there and said "Kid, did you ever get hauled on the carpet for it?"

So I proceeded to tell him about the 27000 page RP06 pack with the comments and
the -READ-.-THIS- files and he stopped me right there and said "Kid, I want you
to go sit over there on that bench marked Large Systems SIG.  NOW, KID!"

I, I walked over to the bench there... See, the LCG group is where they put you
if they think you may not be compatible with the rest of DEC's product line.

There was all kinds of mean nasty ugly people there on the bench... Chaosnet
designers... Lisp hackers... TECO hackers.  TECO hackers right there on the
bench with me!  And the meanest one of them, the hairiest TECO hacker of them
all was coming over to me.  And he was mean and nasty and horrible and
undocumented and all kinds of stuff.  And he sat down next to me and said:
 
.(675041640744.f6w007141004745.f6w643700000000.f6),.fx*[0@ft^]0$w^\

And I said "I didn't get nothing, I had to rebuild the bittable in queue six"
and he said:
 
.(675041640067.f6w416300715765.f6w004445675045.f6
  455445440046.f6w576200535144.f6w370000000000.f6
),.fx*[0@ft^]0$w^\

And I said "Littering".  And they all moved away from me on the bench there,
with the hairy eyeball and all kinds of mean nasty ugly stuff until I said "and
making undocumented changes to the default EMACS key bindings".  And they all
came back, shook my hand, and we had a great time on the bench talking about
Chaosnet hacking and Lisp interpreters written in TECO, and everything was
fine.  And we were eating Peking ravs and smoking all kinds of things until the
guy from DDC came over, had some paper in his hand, said:

KIDS-THIS-SPR-FORM-HAS-FIFTY-EIGHT-LINES-THIRTY-SEVEN-BOXES-AN'-SIXTY-EIGHT
QUESTIONS-WE-WANT-TO-KNOW-THE-DETAILS-OF-THE-BUG-THE-LOAD-FACTOR-WHEN-IT
HAPPENED-AND-ANY-OTHER-KIND-OF-THING-YOU-GOT-TO-SAY-WE-WANT-TO-KNOW-THE-F-S
GUY'S-NAME-AND-HOW-MANY-TRACKS-ON-YOUR-TAPE-DRIVE-AND-ANY-OTHER-KIND-OF-THING
YOU-GOT-TO-SAY

and he talked for forty-five minutes and nobody understood a word that he said
or why we were doing this but we had fun filling out the forms in triplicate
and speculating on why we were filling out SPRs on unsupported products.

I filled out the special form with the four-level macro defining macros.  Typed
it in there just like it was and everything was fine.  And I put down my
keyboard, and I switched buffers, and there ... in the other buffer... centered
in the other buffer... away from everything else in the buffer... in
parentheses, capital letters, in reverse video, read the following words:

"Kid, have you taken the ``VMS for TOPS-20 managers'' course yet?"

I walked over to the man and I said "Mister, you got a lot of damned gall
asking me if I've taken the ``VMS for TOPS-20 managers'' course yet.  I mean...
I mean... I mean, I'm sitting here on the bench, I'm sitting here on the LCG
SIG bench, 'cause you want to know if I'm braindamaged enough trade my PDP-10
for partial credit on a system that doesn't even handle filename completion
after being a litterbug."

He looked at me and said "Kid, the front office don't like your kind, so we're
going to put you on our VAX/VMS mailing list."  And friends, somewhere down in
the NE43 receiving room is a large trash barrel with a big sign on it that says
"VAX/VMS documents".

And the only reason I'm singing you the song now is that someday you may know
somebody in a similar situation... or you may be in a similar situation.  And
if you're in a situation like that there's only one thing you can do, and
that's call up the Digital Educational Services office nearest you and sing
"You can hack anything you want with TECO and DDT" and hang up.

You know, if one person, just one person, does it, they may think he's really
dangerous and they won't take his machine.

And if two people do it, in harmony, they may think they're both ITS hackers
and they won't touch either of them.

And if three people do it!  Can you imagine three people calling up, singin' a
bar of "Alice's PDP-10" and hanging up?  They may think it's an re-implementa-
tion of the Chaosnet protocol.

And can you imagine fifty people a day?  I said FIFTY people a day, calling up,
singin' a bar of "Alice's PDP-10" and hanging up?  Friends, they may think it's
a MOVEMENT, and that's what it is: THE 36-BIT ANTI-LOSSAGE MOVEMENT!  And all
you gotta do to join is to sing it the next time it comes up to the head of the
GOLST.
 
With feelin'.

You can hack anything you want, with TECO and DDT.
You can hack anything you want, with just TECO and DDT.
$U in and begin to hack.
Twiddle bits in a core dump and write it back.
You can hack anything you want, with TECO and DDT.
(But be careful typing <RET>)
Just with TECO and DDT!

Subject: A Multipart message
From: Nathaniel S. Borenstein <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1991 17:08:20 -0700 (PDT)

This is a text prefix.  
You should be able to read this, no matter where you are.

Once you've had a chance to  read this, interesting things should start to 
happen.  In particular, a picture and audio should appear, 
more or less *in parallel*.

After that, an atomicmail message will ask you a few questions.

Subject: Monster!
From: Nathaniel Borenstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1991 17:09:10 -0700 (PDT)